I have some good news on the work front. The Gallup Organization (same one that does polling) developed a survey that helps determine what a person’s talents, or strengths, are based on a series of 34 different talents. My company (and many other Fortune 500 companies) use that information to help their employees find work that is meaningful to them and also allows them the opportunity to be successful because it relies on their strengths. Every time a new employees starts at RTI they take the strengths finder. They learn what their top 5 strengths are and then they meet with a Strengths Coach to talk about what they’re good at and how they can use it to their advantage in the workplace to be happier and more productive. My top five are Input, Discipline, Achiever, Competition and Focus. I won’t bore you with the details of each but I will say that knowing what I’m good at and frankly, why I make the decisions I do sometimes, has really helped me to be better at my job and to be able to work better with those around me who might not share my same desire for discipline and structure! Anyway, the reason I’m telling you all this is because I was recently asked to be a Strengths Coach for my company and I’m super excited about it! I’ve seen firsthand how it positively impacts people at work and since we spend 40+ hours a week there we might as well learn to enjoy it! (And a lot of people compare it to Meyers Briggs or other personality tests but this is different, it focuses on your talents and what you’re good at AND gives you useful ways to use that information in the workplace).On to another subject - Quite a few people have asked us if we’ve found a church here in Alachua and the answer is yes! We started attending First Baptist Church of High Springs back in July of last year after visiting several other local churches. It was the perfect fit for us. It’s traditional in certain areas (music, structure of the service, core values) but very contemporary in other areas (diversity of congregation, programming, etc). Josh and I recently joined the young couples life connections class (Sunday School) and are very glad we did. It’s a group of people our age who are married and going through a lot of the same life experiences that we are. We only just started attending but I definitely think it’s something we’ll continue and we’re looking forward to getting to know everyone a little more. We appreciate the fact that it’s not “stuffy” and that the people that attend come across as genuine and “real.”
Of course I can’t post without a quick Darby update. This past weekend was Darby’s first trip to the park! He was allowed off of the leash to play with his new friend Maggie (My boss Nancy’s golden retriever). He did really well! He ran around like a maniac and anywhere that Maggie went, he would go. Thankfully she listens really well and when Nancy would call her back she would come, with him right on her heels. The only time he misbehaved was when Maggie spotted a couple sprawled out on the ground having a fried chicken picnic. Maggie went straight for the chicken and Darby went bounding on top of the couple. Needless to say he scared them and probably got them a little dirty, but who lays down in the middle of a park to make out with dogs running all around !?!?!?!
Enough for now, I’m going to get this posted and up before I forget. Next time I’ll use my camera more so I can share photos and videos!
Love,
Jenny

No comments:
Post a Comment