So what does 4 years old look like and what do I want to remember about this age? Oh the questions!! Why, why why? Just like I did when I was little, Colton asks questions about everything! Whenever we don't know the answer (or aren't quick enough to make something up) he comes up with his own theories - a recent favorite: When Papa and Nana babysat and put the boys to bed but Papa accidentally said the dinner blessing at bedtime "Mommy, why did Papa not know the words to our bedtime prayers? Oh, I know, he must have just not had the right words inside of his mouth" His favorite expressions are "Oh my gosh," "that is awesome," and "actually, I think...."
The older he gets the more compassion he shows for his brother. They've always been good buddies but I can finally see him starting to take on the role of "big" brother and care for Teague. Now don't get me wrong, these two rough and tumble boys wrestle like crazy and have knock down, drag out brawls over toys but when push comes to shove he defends his brother and is concerned for his safety. I love seeing their relationship grow and I love seeing the adoration in Teague's eyes for his brudder.
Colton is still at the same daycare where he's been since he was 3 months old (location changed and ownership changed but same families and teachers). He does really well there and we're blessed to have wonderful caregivers who love my babies, especially Miss Cheslie, our favorite teacher/babysitter. I'm not sure what the next year holds because we are prayerfully considering a move to a VPK program at our church but we have several months to consider that decision and the impacts on our family. It's just so hard to believe we are almost ready for real school!
Colton's interests are all over the place - he loves pretty much everything but these days he spends most of this time outside whether in his sand pit, driving his new truck or dragging a cart around the backyard playing imaginary games. I think yesterday he only came inside for a total of one hour during the day!! He's still our puzzle boy who loves to put things together and he's recently started showing an interest in drawing and coloring. One of my favorite interests that I try to encourage is his love for cooking. He literally can watch cooking shows on tv and sit quietly, amazing since I can barely do that! He gets his little stool and climbs up to help me when I cook and even knows how to crack eggs like a ch
amp.
I remember the day my little Colton Ray was born like it was yesterday. The long and incredibly painful natural birth, the many, many hours awake with me in tears and Josh laying half asleep on the couch while Colton curled up in his arms and got the few hours of sleep he would get for the night. Oh were the nights ever long but how incredibly short the years have been. Happy Birthday to my first baby, my precious and deeply loved Colton Ray Highlander.
Love,
Jenny

No comments:
Post a Comment