10/17/10

Run Jenny Run!

One more quick post. I have to tell the world something before I back out...and once I've told you my pride won't allow me to do that :) I signed up for a 1/2 marathon and will be running in February 2011. Last year I was 9 months pregnant and waddling around with nearly 50 extra pounds on my body. I made a promise to myself that 1) I would lose the weight and 2) I would accomplish some sort of athletic goal to ensure that I did indeed have my body back. Number one can be checked off the list (on most days, when I haven't eaten too big of a meal) and number two will soon be checked off.

I'll be running in the 5 Points of Life race here in Gainesville. Not only will I be supporting donation (the five points are organ, tissue, blood, bone marrow and apheresis) but I'll be doing something I NEVER thought I could do. Sure, I've run a few 5ks and even two 10ks in St. Thomas but this is something I was pretty sure I couldn't achieve...and that's why I'm doing it! Now I'd like to make one thing clear - I'm NOT athletic. I've managed to get by through life with just enough athletic ability to be successful when I really wanted it. I was a cheerleader in high school and while I looked the part and could definitely memorize those cheers, I was certainly not the one out there doing back flips and crazy good jumps. I was forced to sit the bench in powder puff football in high school (apparently you can't use bad words when speaking to the other team) and I was kicked out of a dodgeball game in college (don't throw the ball above the waist no matter how much you dislike the person!!!). Needless to say, I'm just good enough to play most sports but I can be pretty crappy at the sportsmanship part (just sometimes, not all the time, swear) - why am I admitting this to my family and friends?? Well, most of you already know this about me.

Anyway, wish me luck and please don't expect too much come February. My goal is simple. I want to cross the finish line on two feet and hopefully alive. If it takes me five hours, so be it.

Oh, and how much does my sister-in-law rock? I asked her if she would do it with me and without hesitation she agreed. I anticipate that she'll be at the finish line with my water by the time I get there. She's been running since the day she signed up...me, not so much.

Love you all!!
Jen

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY for you!! I have this same goal after this 2nd baby!!!! Let me know how your training goes!

Liz said...

Go, Jenny! How awesome you are going to run a half marathon! Good luck with your training!