7/13/11

Independence Day!

We had a wonderful 4th of July weekend in Steinhatchee. My parents came into town so we went out and stayed with them at their new place. They're almost done fixing it up - all of the bedrooms now have mattresses and the appliances and living room furniture are complete. Mom is still doing painting and decorating and dad has a few projects outside. Steinhatchee is such a cool little town and it's small enough and quaint enough that most people use golf carts as their mode of transportation - which delights Colton to no end! It's scallop season in Steinhatchee so it was pretty packed with boats and people in town to celebrate and bring home some seafood. My parents are currently in the market for a new boat so sometime in the near future we'll be joining the masses out on the gulf in search for one of my favorite yummy shellfish treats!!

Since we didn't have a boat we just relaxed, ate lots of yummy food, took rides around in the golf cart and ate some more. My only complaint was the INSANELY loud fireworks that sounded like they were going off at our back door. Amazingly, both nights Colton never made a peep and slept soundly for 11 hours through it all. We, on the other hand, nearly jumped out of our skin every time a boom went off! What I can say, boat people like some fireworks!!

I left my camera card at home so I'm using mom's pictures and some camera photos. Next time I'll be better about that!!

On the actual 4th Josh and I came back to Gainesville early to enjoy some much needed project time. Josh finished painting his room upstairs (not sure if I've updated lately but he built out a closet and closed off an attic access door so now that painting is done, floors can finally go in!!!). I spent way too much money at Target and caught up on laundry, yes, what an exciting 4th we had!! My parents brought Colton back in time for a yummy dinner and then they stayed home with him while Josh and I caught the Alachua fireworks with the Weitekamps. I was really surprised what a great job Alachua did and a whopping 30,000 people came to our small town to see them! We found a perfect spot with a handful of other families (high up on the hill) where we could see them and hear them but not have to fight the crowds and traffic. We definitely have our spot for next year!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July holiday. We're so grateful for the men and women that defend our freedom and allow us the opportunity to raise our family in this great country. There is no place else we'd rather be.
Love,
Jenny

1 comment:

morgan cullen said...

awwww, these pics are really really cute! his HAIR in that one pic - CLASSIC! and your dad trying to corral the mess was HILARIOUS! his face is so funny...like I SURRENDER!

ps - oh my gosh, your bump ROCKS jenny and is so super tiny an cute!