6/2/11

A Family of Four!

I’m going to do my best not make this blog post so disgusting that you’ll 1) stop reading for fear I’m going to give some other gross details about pregnancy or 2) decide that you never want to have children because it sounds like such an awful thing to do!!

I’ve been MIA from my blog and from several other things these past few weeks, mainly dishes, dinner and cleaning. My poor husband has been a saint and has handled most of these chores daily – although he’s not a big weeknight cooking fan so we’ve been lacking there for the most part.

I’ll go back in time a bit. Back in April we headed west for Josh to take his professional engineers exam and for me to run my first half marathon. We weren’t trying to get pregnant (yet, the plan was hopefully sometime this summer) so I had no idea I was already expecting. The race, as I posted, went well and I won’t try to blame my slow time on pregnancy because I wasn’t far enough along for it to really matter J

About a week later I realized that something wasn’t quite right. I swung by CVS on my way to work and grabbed a box of tests. I bought the big pack because I was convinced I wasn’t pregnant and I wanted to have a supply for the summer. I took the test at work, glanced at it right away and then tossed it in the stall trash can because it didn’t show two pink lines. Just as I got ready to leave the bathroom I had a weird feeling I needed to check it again. I pulled it out of the trash (yuck!) and sure enough, two pink lines, clear as day. Lesson learned – wait the 5 minutes they tell you to wait!!

I called up Josh and asked him if he wanted to have lunch. Not totally out of the ordinary and thankfully he was free so we went to get sushi. As we were getting ready to order I mentioned that I couldn’t have any raw fish. He looked at me and said “why not” still totally clueless. After smiling, grinning and then finally telling him I was pregnant (he was NOT expecting it so I had to spell it out) we hugged and he grinned from ear to ear for the rest of lunch J

Things took a turn for the worse right around 6 ½ weeks. I was expecting it because it was about the same time as it got bad with Colton. I’ll sum it up for my friends and family – every day, all day, I have that feeling that I’m on the brink of throwing up. Most days I actually do get sick and it’s typically 2 to 3 times per day. Every few days I’ll have a day where nothing comes up and I just spend the day feeling sick, but I manage to keep all my fluid and food down (which is why I haven’t had to get IV fluids or a anything fun like that). After about two weeks I realized this was going to be worse than before and contacted the doctor for a prescription. She gave me Zofran. It has worked for SO many people that I know but I’m one of the lucky few that it does nothing for and I always end up just throwing it back up. Right now, I take a unisom sleep tab (completely safe!) at bed time and I have noticed that it does help. On days when I don’t take it I can barely make it through the day but when I do I usually only get sick in the late afternoons, early evening before my next dose. At this point, I’m just trying to tuff it out and remind myself daily that “this too shall pass.” Morning sickness is a GOOD thing. It usually indicates a healthy, viable pregnancy and that my body knows what to do now that it’s show time J

Yesterday I had my first check-up with the doctor and they did an ultrasound to date the pregnancy. We were exactly right on and the baby was 10 weeks and 6 days and my due date is December 22nd. I’m a little nervous about how December is going to be for the rest of our lives, lol. Between Colton’s birthday, this baby’s birthday and Christmas it’s going to be a busy, busy month!!

That about sums up the start of our next baby story. I plan to go back and finish posts for our trip to Darien, Georgia (probably not a great idea to visit a shrimping village when you’re nauseous) and our Memorial Day trip to the lake. Both were awesome and fun and I have lots of photos to share so I hope to get to that soon.

Also, for those that I haven’t already told, Josh passed that PE exam from back in April!!! He just recently got the news. This is such a huge accomplishment and we’re all so incredibly proud of him. He is now a licensed engineer. To get your licensure you have to work under a PE for at least four years and then you have a take a long, grueling, eight hour exam. Such a sigh of relief that he has it behind him now.

Love,

Jenny

2 comments:

The Riley Family said...

Congrats!! We are so happy for you guys. Colton is going to be a great big brother. Praying for a healthy and happy pregnancy for you. Love you!

morgan cullen said...

I know you're almost done with this morning sickness none sense! I've had 4 days of GREATNESS which has me re-appreciating health, in a way! Keeping you in my prayers...i DO KNOW what it is now to say those two ailing words, but we both know (you more than me) the prize is WAY BIGGER than the time spent in agony these first few months! i love how you told him (kinda like us, SUPRRISE!) and yay for PE man :)