6/20/11

Long Overdue Anniversary Getaway Post

I wrote this post a few weeks ago but never got around to attaching pictures or posting it. It's really just sad how much of a slacker I've been lately. What little energy I have is spent with Colton and my "morning" sickness is primarily "evening" sickness these days so blogging at night just isn't going to happen. I'm just two days shy of 14 weeks so I keep praying that the sickness will end soon and I'll hit that pregnancy high that I had with Colton. Watch out world because when it does I have a lot of making up to do for 2 months of being sick!!

In early May Josh and I had a weekend getaway to celebrate our belated 4th wedding anniversary. I had planned the trip several months in advance and hadn’t realized it was Mother’s Day weekend (or that I would be pregnant!!). We went to Darien, Georgia.

Darien is about 20 minutes north of where we normally like to go, St. Simon’s Island. It’s a small, sleepy coastal Georgia town. They are known for their shrimping industry which is a good thing unless you’re nauseous and sensitive to bad smells. We stayed in a WONDERFUL B&B right near the wharf and in the middle of the town square. It was featured in a recent issue of Southern Living and definitely lived up to all the hype. The owner, Kelly, was so wonderful and welcoming and the house was just beautiful. It wasn't so done up that you were afraid to touch anything but instead was homey and comfortable. We arrived late Friday and went out to an awesome dinner at Skipper's Fish Camp nearby. I was really feeling sick at that point so I didn't enjoy my dinner as much as Josh but the restaurant was delicious. On Saturday, we had the perfect day. We woke up late, had a huge yummy breakfast with the other guests and then ventured out to explore a nearby fort and museum. We followed that with a great lunch at the Purple Pickle and then we went back to our B&B to lay by the pool and take a three hour nap. I’m not sure why but when I woke up on Saturday my stomach felt better than it had in weeks. I was able to completely enjoy our afternoon. For dinner we went to the Darien House and had a great meal – sadly, that’s when I started feeling sick again.

Sunday was another great breakfast and sharing stories with our new friends, the other guests. I just have to mention that you meet so many neat people at B&Bs. One of the couples was Coach and Mrs. D. They were retired teachers from New Mexico and Josh just happened to notice a rather large ring on Coach’s hand. Coach just happened to be the retired high school head football coach whose team had won 15 state championships. Of course football stories followed J

We headed home on Sunday to spend Mother’s Day with Colton and my parents who were keeping him. I spent most of that day curled up on the couch trying not to get sick. My little man (and his daddy) have planted a gorgeous red maple tree for Colton. We will watch it grow along with our little boy. I need to get some pictures soon!! We went ahead and got one that was a little more mature since we didn't get around to planting it until he was 18 months. We’ll have another tree next Mother’s Day for baby 2!!

Darien Getaway

Love,

Jenny

No comments: